All About Us
The Mentor and Support (Co-ordination) Program aims to provide good services to help Young People. The service is between a Mentor and a Young Person for the purpose of reducing risk of harm behaviours and improving personal development.
The Young person may be on statutory orders including justice, and/or child protection/out-of-home care and present with significant risk factors and high-risk behaviours The program seeks to be culturally competent and meet the needs of Aboriginal Young People.
The Mentor and Support (Co-ordination) Program is about positive experiences for the young person. The program presents as an adventure, recreation and athletics program for Young People. The Mentor is a positive role model, someone who the Young Person can easily connect with and develop a positive relationship and potential attachment.
The program supports the Young Person to develop their own strategies for:
- Support planning and goal setting
- Personal development, risk mitigation, capacity building and coping skills
- Daily living, practical support and crisis management
The Mentor supports the Young Person to reduce their own risk factors, build strengths and equip themselves with knowledge, skills and resources required for a good life.
The objectives of the program are to help Young People reduce risk of harm or problem behaviours toward a good life. Specifically, the program seeks to:
- Assist Young People to identify their own strengths and identify protective factors in their lives
- Empower Young People to build capabilities and protective strengths toward a good life
- Support Young People to identify and reduce risk factors/triggers and implement strategies to reduce the risk of future risk behaviours
Stephen is someone with a mental health disorder
Barb has a child with a disability. Barb has a mental health disorder
Cindy has a partner with a disability
Joey is passionate about helping people who have a disability. Joey is a proud Wiradjuri man
Jason has a disability and and a mental health disorder. Jason is from a culturally and linguistically diverse background
Kat has a mental health disorder
Sarah is a someone with a mental health disorder
Charlie has a parent with a mental health disorder
Al is a Gadigal woman of the Eora Nation. Al is someone with a disability